Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Rachel 6/16/10



Well, i've been on hiatus from sketching or typing much due to a bad flare-up of carpal tunnel--i've had sporadically recurring RSI in particularly my right wrist since 2005, and managed to aggravate it with a combination of intense periods of typing too much, writing longhand, and sketching, topped off with overly-vigorous bowling. (I wish i were joking.)

The main lesson here is, if you don't have RSI yet and you are a costumer, please be mindful of taking regular breaks and resting your hands and wrists, and don't ever work somewhere that won't allow regular breaks or makes you use ergonomically-harmful cutting equipment or table heights.

But, to get off my soapbox, i did a sketch today! I was literally about to climb the wall wanting to draw something, and i remembered something i did back when i first had the initial bout with this injury: left-handed artwork. (I'm a right-hander.) I did a couple of paintings that first time out with brushes stuck down inside a wrist brace, then some with my left hand. I thought, why not try that again?

So, i'd collected a couple inspirational images i wanted to sketch from of dancers, in keeping with my overall desire to work with drawing figures captured mid-motion doing expressive action. This drawing was inspired by an Oya orisha celebration dance done by the Afro-Cuban Arenas Dance Company. Check them out here (my lady is 3 pix down)!

Totally drew this with my left hand, first using a red ballpoint for roughing it out, then going back over it with a navy marker. I kind of wish i'd stuck with the thin lines and gone back over it with a black inkpen or really anything with a smaller nib. But whatever, live and learn, and i DREW SOMETHING and it doesn't suck, even left-handed. So, hooray.

No comments:

Post a Comment