Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Eric 4/28/10

This sketch took foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeever to color!  But, it was eight figures in all, so I'm pretty sure I'm allowed for it to take some time.  Either way, I'm really pleased with it.

One of things I like best about the sketch is Violet's Girl Scout Uniform.  I referenced an actual uniform for the color and it took five markers to get it with all of its highlights and shadows.

The director asked me specifically not to "color block" the families, so that they can be more individual.  Although I did connect them through hair color and style, I allowed them to find their own color identity.  Their palate is to be more demure, so that the chocolate factory can be more contextually vibrant.

Just a few more to go!

2 comments:

  1. I'm using markers now and am having a terrible time getting such good highlight and shadow! NICE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it helps at all, this is what I do:

    Pick the color you want it to be, even it is a blend. Then find a shade 50% darker, then one more 50% darker than that. Unless it's shiny, fill in the entire area with your base. Then fill in general shadow with your middle, then do your shadow cores with your darkest. Then layer completely one more time in your base color, which will transition the other two. Use a white pencil for extra highlight.

    I hope that might help you in some way!

    ReplyDelete