Friday, April 30, 2010

Kyle 4/30/10


This one really took me a while...I'm just not used to markers...not used to how they move, how to blend them, how they work in my hand...its getting better though. I really need to get the skin tone set and a cool gray set if I want to keep using them.

I like the fact that I can layer them like water color to deepen tone, but I don't like that I can't mix my own colors into one marker like I would load a brush with a color I mixed...I have to layer colors which is something I'm not used to yet. The coats in this sketch, for instance, took me forever to get close to right (they're a little too dark, but its just a suggestion!). There are seriously, like, 5 colors of marker on there.

I'm not all that happy with the streaky look of the trousers, but that's just me...I'm not used to the way markers look when I use them. I can look at other designer's marker renderings and say, "those look wonderful!" and I'm just kinda "blah" about mine...they aren't bad, I'm just not used to them.

Using markers is wonderful though. There isn't that pesky drying time you have to contend with when using paint, and the color is even - you reach for a marker and you know exactly what color is gonna come out. I really want to keep working with them...maybe try to get myself loosened up. I think that this summer (not that I'll have much free time) I'll take some of the Merry Wives and Into the Woods sketches with me and color them...and then post them. And you all can tell me what I'm doing wrong (hopefully I'll do some things right).

5 comments:

  1. I don't get what's so bad about your coloring. I think it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best skin tone colors are brick beige for caucasian skin, or brick beige layered with walnut for African American skin. Ballet pink is the best to add a blush to the face and I think it's greyed lavendar that I like for shadow? However, all papers will take the color differently, but I think those are the best colors regardless. I'm learning with markers too, but man are they quick! Looove how quick they are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brick beige with Walnut?? Now I'm going to HAVE to try that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm gonna go get that skin tone set!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Eric; i think your coloring looks great, too!

    It's hard to get distance on your own work to see it objectively, i think. One of the things i think is pretty cool about this blog is, sometimes when i look at a rendering, i feel enh about it, but then once i look at it as a jpg on a screen in the middle of a post, resized and everything, i have a new perspective on it.

    ReplyDelete