Thursday, April 8, 2010

Kyle 4/8/10

Back to the blog-stone, as it were. I haven't really gotten as into this project as my earlier ones, oddly enough. I can't really say why. I really love the play and can see in my head what everything looks like, but its a realistic play set in 1934...so I'm basically picking clothes out of catalogues (though, I know, as Bill Black says, "Designing is choosing."). And I've been a bit preoccupied...but enough excuses!

Karen Wright is the other co-founder of the girls school in The Childern's Hour. She is much more romantic and less confrontational than Martha (though the students still respect her authority). She has been engaged to Joe (who we've yet to meet) for several years.

I'm not exceptionally pleased with this sketch. Its passable, I suppose. I didn't try too hard with the pose (I tried to not look at a reference for it - though I did reference the face) and its a little off...it lacks movement, I guess. Very static. I'm OK with the face - it got a little long and is a bit too big for the figure. I like the dress, but the sleeves are a bit too full and the pattern is all wrong. I pretty much pulled it from the Spring 1934 Sears Catalogue, cut and print...the cut is right, but the print just doesn't work. Oh well, you win some, you kinda win some.

I'm going to be spending a lot of time at work over the next few weeks while also getting ready for the Summer. I'm gonna push to get this project done before May though...We'll see how it goes!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know this show from Adam, but I think your clothes are pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm guessing you've been visiting the 1934 catalog on lileks.com?

    ReplyDelete