Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Eric 4/7/10


Tonight I redrew the bad Wonka kids, this time with their parents, and more in the figure style I'm going to use for this show. I kept thinking that the sketch was taking me FOREVER, but then I remembered that I was actually drawing eight figures, all in told.

When drawing tonight, Layne asked me an interesting question: "Is this show hard, since everybody already knows what these people look like?" Well, that is interesting. It has been a challenge to find something new and fresh to bring to this design, since the films are so iconic. But the real reason why I think this show is tough is because the iconic designs worked, and they are based on pretty standard archetypes. For my design, I'm trying to find my own voice by finding new avenues in which to explore these archetypes. Again, I don't think it's earth shattering design, but I am enjoying the experience.

Augustus and Mom: Gluttony. Mom is the ideal "soccer mom" being modestly dressed in her mom jeans and traditional European silk neck scarf. Of course, Augustus's sport is eating, not soccer.

Mike and Mom: Sloth. Mike is pretty self-explanatory. His mom, she's the "young" mom who lives through her son. Think Amy Poehler's character in Mean Girls. She's in her hip jogging outfit, replete with pony tail and hoop earrings.

Violet and Dad: Pride. I discussed Violet in my earlier post. Her dad is clearly a working-class man. I like the idea that they don't have a lot of money, but what money they do earn, is reinvested into their daughter. I think he's an assistant manager at Wal-Mart.

Veruca and Dad: Wrath. Spoiled West Central Park New Yorkers. They wear labels and Dad never leaves home without his bluetooth. Veruca is carrying her fur, and probably has a glittery phone cover. Dad is so fashionable, he even scrunches his coat sleeves. Yeah, THAT fashionable.

I had a lot of fun doing the sketch this way. Three more plates like this, and I'll have the whole musical designed!

No comments:

Post a Comment