Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Jen Caprio 1/6


Yet another Boheme Sketch. I didn't get as much done today as I wanted to and most of them remain only partially drawn-this is the closest to complete and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I'm hating the hem...not sure about the lines reading remotely 1830s even though the pieces and parts are stolen from fashion plates, the 1830s, I'm learning, are remarkably similar in sleeve cut to the 1895 Leg-O-Mutton.

Eric-Thanks for your lovely comments about the last post-economy in general is something I struggle with-in line, in drawing, in life, in speaking...so I appreciate that you see that in my work! haha!

3 comments:

  1. I think the problem you described is hard. But I also think you did exactly as I think of the 1830's, which is all about the sloping shoulder into that leg-o-mutton line. I'd probably know more if I hadn't fallen asleep in Costume History almost everyday. Sorry, Marianne, but it's true :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Eric. That sloping shoulder and the scale of sleeves reads very 1830s to me as do the pleats into the touch higher than natural waist. The wide belt also helps. I saw The Young Victoria last week and it has some beautiful clothes from this period. It was interesting to see how they were worn and moved with the body. There was also a great scene where you get to see the period underwear.
    I also agree with Eric about your economy of line in your sKetches...they really are beautifully free and capture movement and character so well...Mine are probably a little too detailed or overworked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I so want to see Young Victoria. I have this obsession with epic movies about English queens. And if you think about it, there are many from which to choose...

    ReplyDelete