Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Kyle 1/26/10

One of the funniest scenes in Merry Wives is Act V, scene 5, in which many of the characters dress in fanciful costumes and taunt Falstaff. They burn him with candles and pinch him, all led by Mistress Quickly and Sir Hugh Evans.

For my 1950's production, I've set the scene at Halloween with the characters in Halloween costumes. Mistress Quickly is a witch in a battered witch's hat and dyed black chenille bathrobe, with fake nose and chin. I think that part of the humor comes from the fact that they aren't really well disguised (Quickly keeps her glasses and neck scarf) and Falstaff is just a stupid old drunk who is easily fooled in the dark.

There are supposed to be "many children" who enter with Sir Hugh, but there are only two named children in the play - Robin, Falstaff's page (or sometimes his son) and William Page, the Page's son. A lot of little boy's costumes in the mid-20th century had to do with the space race - Space Men and Robots abound in all of the pictures I could find. Another choice would be Cowboys and Indians, I suppose, though I find Space Men and Robots more frightening (a clown would be the scariest!)! William would be the Space Man, as his family could afford a fancy, store-bought costume, while Robin would be the Robot - made from cardboard boxes and painted silver with buttons and levers.

There are many more characters in the scene. I think I'll do some more of them tomorrow...it is fun to design a costume for a character who is wearing a costume!

No comments:

Post a Comment