Thursday, March 25, 2010

Eric 3/25/10



I've been out of the loop, blogosphere. I had a lot of homework to do the past week, none of which allowed me any time for drawing. But, Go, Dog! Go! is looking grrrrreat (promo shots are tomorrow, so I'll post some of those), and I got a script written for our spring break theatre school next week.

Although I should be resuming with Willy Wonka, I just got hired to do an emergency puppet for Jen Matthews who is designing Goodnight, Moon at Charlotte Children's Theatre. I have VERY little time. Since we don't have the option of meeting, I decided to do a sketch based on her lovely costume rendering. Just so we're clear: Jen's sketch is the colored one, mine is the pencil.

The actress playing the dish is TINY, so deciding these proportions was really important. Plus, I hope this sketch will begin a conversation about what this puppet looks like in profile. I learned from designing Pinocchio this past fall, that puppets have to be designed in 360, or it makes the crafting extremely tedious.

For the proportions, I compared the actress's measurements to the sketch, and drew out from there. I also pulled a tablespoon from the kitchen, because I never have actually thought about a spoon from the profile before.

So, we'll see if this sketch gets the ball rolling! Good to be back: I really missed blog/sketching.

No comments:

Post a Comment