Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Kyle 3/3/10

Yesterday I made a suggestion to Eric of what he should do for his next sketch (I'm SOOOOO EXCITED!) and I asked him which Into the Woods character I should do next. He asked for the Wolf...so here you go...

One of the main issues with the Wolf is the hair and makeup. I looked at photos of lots of past productions and saw everything from face paint to masks to crazy things that I can't even explain. I looked at photos of real wolves. I looked at drawings of wolves. And then (light bulb) I looked at a 1985 Michael J. Fox cinematic masterpiece...yes, my friends, Teen Wolf. There was a little prosthetic makeup but the wolf effect came mostly from the hair...lots of hair. My design incorporates a full wig and major facial hair leaving the eyes and mouth free with a prosthetic nose piece. I don't want to disguise that fact that he's human. I think that's one of the most important aspects of the character. He's also got some nasty nails mounted on some flesh toned gloves.

The costume is a mix of 18th century and 19th century riding clothes. I originally though of a kind of modified fox hunting outfit. This has a little of that still going on with the jodhpurs (With a fur stripe down the side) and the tall Hessian boots. The 18th century comes back in with the waistcoat (pieced leather...like from animals and humans he's eaten) and the coat (which is a sort of whimsical bastardization of an 18th century military coat). The cravat and sleeve ruffles are a spidery lace that has been dyed to match a tone in the wig so that it looks like chest and arm hair sticking out. He's got some bows and stuff too.

My point is for him to look friendly but still smarmy and a little scary - like the child molester at the mall, rather than the one that hangs out at the grade school crosswalk...I just totally made myself throw up in my mouth a little bit....success, I guess.

As for the drawing. I like the face, but his legs are a little short. Its the proportion of the jodhpurs and boots that messed me up. Oh well. I still like it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment