Monday, March 8, 2010

Kyle 3/8/10

I really enjoy this sketch...those sassy evil stepsisters are, well, evil, but they've sure got some style.

Like I've said before, its very rare that I sketch without referencing a photo for faces and poses. Well, as you can see, there aren't much in the way of faces in this sketch, but I did pretty much copy the poses...and the shape of the gowns...from one of my great reference books (Dangerous Liaisons from the Met Costume Institute). I admit it...I'm a pose/gown copier. However, in my defence, the poses and faces I use as references are from photos, not drawings. Translating a photo to a sketch is different (not harder, just different) than from a sketch...so there.

While I copied the silhouette of the gowns I trimmed them differently and used different fabric patterns and textures. As for color they are scripted to be mauve and pink ("Never wear mauve at a ball!" - "Or pink!" - "Or open your mouth!") though that's a pretty open spectrum. The trims on both are lace. Florinda is in a stripped silk taffeta while Lucinda is in embroidered silk taffeta.

I'm super excited to share my sketch tomorrow...I won't be posting on Thursday or Friday though, folks. Sorry, but I'll be teaching (I'm using that term very loosely - more like guiding) a tailoring workshop at Lexington Children's Theatre and helping to build a coat for Eric's show! I still love you all though!

1 comment:

  1. Best. Sketch. EVAR!

    I toooootally thought we would be drawing together when you came. It could be fun... especially if we both did the same subject and share our perspectives.

    What'cha think?

    ReplyDelete