Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Kyle 3/2/10

After two days of drawing pretty (or slutty) Witches, I though that it was about time I drew a man...but he's a pretty Man.

There are two Princes in Into the Woods. Brothers - one is in love with Cinderella and the other with Rapunzel. Cinderella's Prince always follows her from the King's Festival so he's pretty fancied up. You know, 18th century style; shirt, hose, breeches, stock, cravat, waistcoat, coat, shoes...pretty fly.

I've said before that I use posed images from my "photo morgue" when I sketch. In fact, I hardly ever sketch without a pre-posed image. I'm just not all that good at it. Sometimes the face is from one and the body from the other. In this case, I used an image of Louis XVI that I've had for a long time. The photo that I have stops before his hands so I had to make the rest up. The legs are a little short...but the effect is good. I usually find other images of the clothes, but in this case I just kinda borrowed it all from the Louis XVI image...especially the baldric. In the photo it is a really beautiful silk moire. Stole that...its a really difficult fabric to sketch and render (its a little easier to do in color). I don't think it looks too bad. Stole the metals also...its not stealing though. I borrow and choose. And, as Eric can attest to Bill Black always saying, "Designing is choosing."

1 comment:

  1. This is one of your best sketches. I think the overall proportion is solid, the clothes fit beautifully, and I even see a smirk of his face. I think your growth since the beginning of Merry Wives is evident and compelling.

    ReplyDelete