Thursday, March 25, 2010

Kyle 3/24/10

Ah, more costumes that are on stage for about 2 minutes...

In the second act of Into the Woods the two Princes (who married Cinderella and knocked up Rapunzel in the first act) happen upon Snow White and Sleeping Beauty, both snoozing away in a glass casket or tall tower, and change their minds about their relationships. We don't actually see these two drowsy dames until the last few bars of the last song and during curtain call...

Snow white is is a peasanty blouse with a kind of Germanic jumper and sash. She's got some flowers in her hair...those dwarfs had to do something!

Sleeping Beauty has been asleep for a long time. I didn't want to go medieval (saving that for the Witch and Rapunzel) so I decided to go Tudor. She is a Princess and the Tudor period is two and a half centuries away from the story time period...that's a long enough nap, in my opinion.

Often, these characters are done as almost direct copies of the Disney versions. That's a really really funny and cute sight gag and all, but I wanted to do something different...I don't know. These don't necessarily scream "Snow White" and "Sleeping Beauty", but, egh, sketching them was fun.

I was a little distracted as I sketched tonight. The Metropolitan Opera's new production of Les contes d'Hoffmann was on PBS and I was completely enthralled. It was absolutely gorgeously sung, and the costumes were really interesting....and then they showed previews for this season's productions of Carmen and Der Rosenkavalier and I peed my pants (metaphorical, of course).

4 comments:

  1. What a great sketch! I adore the yawning Sleeping Beauty. I am actually really in love with Snow White's dress. Where did you source it? Did you make it up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made that rag up...though I did look at pictures of lederhosen...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm sure the Bishop and Lady S.P. Rawlins would approve.

    ReplyDelete