Monday, March 29, 2010

Kyle 3/29/10

Toward the end of my sketching Into the Woods, I asked my Facebook friends for suggestions for a new project. I got all kinds of suggestions, but the one that stood out the most to me was from my fellow contributor, Rachel, who suggested The Children's Hour by Lillian Hellman. I remember reading it years and years ago in Undergrad and remembered that I enjoyed it. The next day I had some time to kill after work and stopped by the University Library to see if they had a copy. I couldn't put it down...

I'll go into the plot of the play later, but, just so you know, a good deal of it is set in a girl's boarding school in New England run by two young women in the early 1930s. The character I sketched today is Mary Tilford, a spoiled girl with a major chip on her shoulder. She bullies the other girls, has fits, fakes illness and is just generally a bad seed. It doesn't help that her Grandmother is very rich and has helped the two women start the school.

School uniforms are so very interesting to me. I went to Catholic School, but our uniforms were really casual, but some uniforms are very put together and rigid. I found a really great image of a young girl in her school uniform in the late 1920, which consisted of a blouse, tie, and jumper. Her blouse was plain white, but I decided that I don't want the uniform to be too foreboding, so I decided to go for a striped blouse in blue and white, with the tie and sash navy and the jumper a nice wool jersey. There are eight other girls with this same costume (Multiples! YAY!) and Mary's uniform would have to be doubled as it is supposed to look really dirty in Act Two.

I've never really sketched anything in the 1930s so this is going to be an interesting project! I may have to take more frequent breaks to work on some summer stuff (I'll keep everyone posted on that) but I'll try to stay as regular as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment