Thursday, March 11, 2010

Hey y'all.

I know it's been over a month-and I know this may be hard to believe, but I've actually been OUT OF TOWN this whole time, but for 2 days in February, during which I was in tech.
SO.
I abided by my rule-If travel-no sketch.
Today I started back into it and it was hard. I am a bit behind on a new incarnation of the 1966 musical, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's SUPERMAN at the Dallas Theater Center, and I'm trying to play catch up.
Not having drawn in a month, it was super challenging to get back into a rhythm. It took me two hours this morning just to get started. Then an hour and a half to get a lois lane rough, but then, it got better and better. I wish I wasn't so tired today from all the traveling or I'd stay here at the studio longer.

The challenge with this project is that we all have in our minds what Superman should look like because we've all seen so many incarnations. We're setting this in a very Max Fleisher-early comics world as opposed to the 1980s Chris Reeves, or even the contemporary shiny spandex Superman. The musical takes place in 1939 (the original was 1966 and took place then...) so we want Superman to FEEL like it's 1939 as well...so we're going to stay away from Shiny Spandex.

Kyle and Eric-I've been following while I'm away and you guys are rockin' it. I was so jealous that I couldn't get my ass in gear to draw while away away away...maybe on the next trip....

Missed y'all...

1 comment:

  1. We missed you! We missed you!! And I missed your sketches, 'cause they so pretty.

    ReplyDelete