Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Kyle 3/9/10

Hello, Friends! I'm about to reveal to you one of my "concepts" (I hate that word) for Into the Woods. Be patient, Friends, the sketch shall follow.

As you've seen and read, one of the themes I've decided to enforce from Into the Woods is that of class and status and showing them thorough the costumes. All the peasants are, well, poor. Some REALLY poor (Jack and his Mother) and some kinda middle class (The Baker and his Wife). Cinderella and her family are upper middle class with aristocratic aspirations. The Royal family is really rich. All are set in an 18th century silhouette.

Towards the middle of the first act Cinderella is given a dress to wear to the Ball by the spirit of her dead mother that lives in a tree in the woods. With this magical dress, she becomes part of the group of "Others" (the Witch and Rapunzel) who are not within the 18th century silhouette. The Witch and Rapunzel live in the past - The Witch wanting her past beauty back and Rapunzel being held back by the Witch. Cinderella, however, moves the story along - and her story looks towards the future - for the first act at least...

Cinderella shifts to the 19th century. Historically, it was a return to simplicity. Simplicity that the woods would give her; "Something natural" as Marie Antoinette would have said. It also makes her stand out to the Prince, who is really not as genuine as he seems in the first act.

Cinderella has set a trend that her Stepmother and Stepsisters will follow in the second act, be it on a grander scale.

I've been thinking more and more about why I'm enjoying doing this blog so much and I've realized that its because its forcing me to think though these shows with time that I might never be granted in the real world. Not that doing the actual sketching hasn't also been really really really beneficial. My drawings have gotten much better (I think, but you be the judge - in a nice way please), but it has been wonderful to think through both Into the Woods and Merry Wives. Let me know what my next project should be...that won't be for several weeks, but its nice to have some early suggestions!

2 comments:

  1. I love reading about the concept behind designs. Thanks for sharing it!

    Play suggestion: Lillian Hellman's "The Children's Hour."

    And, looks like my work may be sucking me back into designing again. I should try this "sketch a day" exercise to get back into sketching. Haven't really designed anything in 5 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! Good idea, Rachel! I love that play! I would suggest doing the sketch a day thing to anyone...not only does it make your drawings better, but it totally helps me decompress after a long work day!

    ReplyDelete