Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Kyle 3/16/10

In the second act of Into the Woods, as I've explained earlier, there is a silhouette shift for the Cinderella story line. Cinderella's magical ball gown has moved everyone into the 19th century - especially her "fashionable" Stepmother and Stepsisters.

We see them all together first in the palace with Cinderella. For the Stepmother, I've planned a sort of day gown of light-weight embroidered cotton with decorative rushing on the bodice and sleeves. The rushing is a motif that I'm carrying over from her Act One dress. She's also wearing a day cap with a crazy fun pleated ruff frill.

Later in Act Two we see Cinderella's family escaping from the palace. Over the day dress she's wearing a floor length cape with arm slits. It is trimmed out with rushing down the center front and around the arm slits and has a large rushed collar (all kind of like a coffin...spooky). The day cap is gone and has been replaced with a huge bonnet with a rushed brim and feathers. It is all muddied up and yucky.

There we go...now I have to get to bed. I've got another 8:30 am fitting in the morning. Blegh. I did get to go to a cool lunch talk given by Carl Kasell from NPR's Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me...it was so awesome. I'm a HUGE NPR junkie, so it was, like, the high point of my year...yes, I know, I'm a dork.

1 comment:

  1. I never realized how much this period is like a pared-down version of high Elizabethan. Good sketch, friend.

    ReplyDelete