Monday, February 15, 2010

Eric: Back to Basics


I'm back! I mean it: it's high time I honor the spirit of the blog like Kyle. I'm always going to be tired and overworked, and the whole point was for me to draw ANYWAY!

For the next few weeks, I've decided to take a page from Ina Garten and go Back to Basics. Although I'm comfortable with my costume sketches, I can see so many hundreds of ways they could improve: most especially in the details. Therefore, I'm dedicating weeks at a time to certain aspects of the human figure.

This week, I present faces.

What I've always wanted to do is to sketch like Bob Mackie. That man can find the essential elements of a face and really create a striking resemblance. This week (and maybe into next) I'm going to sketch a celebrity face and ask you all if you can recognize it.

Be honest: tell me what I did and did not do well. I'm never going to get better in silence.

8 comments:

  1. You have to say that: yous my husbin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it Oprah? It looks pretty good, Eric! It is a tiny bit off balance, and the eye on the left is a little large. Eyes are really hard, especially in large scale like this. Eye lashes can make or break it also and the left side is a little heavy. The shading, however is rather good (it could be a teeny bit deeper to match your line work) and the way you have scketched the hair is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is Oprah indeed. I can see what you're saying about the eye. It was tough because she wears a very heavy dose of eye makeup, and I think I got all render crazy on that eye (plus, I think it photographed funny).

    By off-balance do you mean crooked? I always have to keep working on keep my page straight: I have a terrible time of slanting when drawing.

    Thanks for the feedback, Kyle! I really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, crooked is what I mean. Its very minor...you can see it best in the left eye and eyebrow. It is higher than the other. The lips are lovely but the right side is higher than left...not huge problems at all but these tiny little things can unbalance the face and make the viewer say "Hum...there's something not quite right, but I can't put my finger on it..."
    It might be good to post the photo that you worked from also, so we can compare it to your sketch...I don't know...I'm so glad that you're doing this...it makes me see things that I need to work on as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought about posting the photo too, but then it's almost TOO easy to see all of my goofs. I took a poll in the office today, one person had no idea who it was, and another guess Oprah after a few seconds of hard thinking. I WILL be 2 for 2 next time!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH! I see what you're saying, Kyle! Part of what's happening in the crooked is that Oprah is raising her one eyebrow in the photo... that probably is not coming through in the drawing and just makes it look messy: will keep this in mind!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw Oprah as soon as I saw it! It is totally recognizeable! Some people just aren't used to seing a skinnier Oprah! You should try to draw "Fat Oprah"! THAT'S A CHALLENGE!! Lots of folds to shadow!

    ReplyDelete