Monday, February 22, 2010

Kyle 2/22/10

Moving from the peasant dress phase of Into the Woods to the pretty clothes...I've decided to set the Cinderella storyline in mid-18th century France. High Louis XV Rococo crazy, as I like to call it.

Florinda and Lucinda are Cinderella's Stepsisters. They are, as described by the Narrator "Beautiful of face, but vile and black of heart" and when we first meet them, they are having Cinderella help them get ready for the King's Festival. I've always loved period underwear in shows. It gives the audience an idea of costume history and exactly what goes on under a costume to give it the correct shape. These "vile and black of heart" ladies are wearing clocked stockings, linen chemises, brocade corsets and one is in a pannier made of wire covered with rushed ribbon (I stole this from the recent film version of Marie Antoinette - mainly because I really want to make one!). This pannier is a little unpractical so it would probably only be worn in this scene and then swapped out for a sturdier one under her actual dress.

They also have the famous poof hair styles. One of the girls has to have some of her hair still down for Cinderella to style onstage for her...pretty dresses make me so happy, and so does this sketch.

3 comments:

  1. OMG! You gave them plumpers and mouse tattoos!! Genius work, friend.

    For those of you who may not fully appreciate Kyle's fabulousness, women in the 18th C. would flesh out their cheeks with wax called "plumpers." They would also give themselves beauty marks and eyebrows made from tanned mouse skin.

    Pretty, right!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wearing my tanned mouse silk eyebrows right now...so glamorous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you look like Gloria Swanson...

    I'm a pirate. Arrrrrrrrr.

    ReplyDelete