Thursday, February 18, 2010

Eric Celebrity Face #4


Layne guessed this one right off the bat. I don't know if that means this face is just more recognizable, or I'm getting better. I have decided to keep this up another week: I'm really enjoying the exploration of faces, and I keep learning what I still need to improve upon. Keep the comments coming!!

Tonight's face was chosen because it was hard for me in three ways: it is older, it is African-American and it is a 3/4 pose. Older faces are hard to capture the character that age leaves behind. As we lose elasticity and muscle tone with age, our natural contours become an intrinsic part of our facial identity, and are also really hard to draw. African-American faces are harder for me because I have less practice drawing them. I plan on tackling more Asian faces in the coming weeks as well for the exact same reason. Finally, I'm super comfortable drawing faces at full front, but I agonize at 3/4 and profile. I can't figure them out. What is it about the contours that make it so hard for me to draw a face on an angle? This is something I hope to work out in this project.

Ironically, as I was putting the finishing touches on the sketch, a commercial came on narrated by this actor. Not that it is SUCH a coincidence; he narrates like EVERY other commercial.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Mr. Freedman...you are old.
    Seriously Eric, you are doing beautifully with this! You are focusing in on the most important things about the faces!
    Quick story...so last year at GRSF our designer was showing the sketches to one of our directors. She was tring to get him to focus on the costume which has been an ordeal to design. All he had to say was, "You've really captured the character's face..." She was insenced but that's the costume that made it through! Just goest to show you, the face is so important sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that "lol" is overused, but I seriously laughed out loud when I read your first sentence. Thank you for all of the encouragement, friend! I love blogging with you. I think we've found a way to be husbands again.

    ReplyDelete