Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Kyle 2/23/10

Ok...so I kinda made it for the day...the sketch was done pre-midnight...Ooooh, she is so mean!

Cinderella's Stepmother is such a fun character. We're never really told why she's so mean...she just is, and in Into the Woods, like her daughters, she's pretty. I love the way even the evil people that we're supposed to hate in this story are beautiful.

I have been accumulating more and more costume reference books over the years (I generally ask Santa for some every year - try it...it works) and most of my favorites are from the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute. They are all well written with beautiful photos of actual garments and period drawings and paintings. In thinking about this show I've been looking though one called Dangerous Liaisons, which was a fantastic exhibit of 18th century clothes set in the Met's Period Rooms. Its just breathtaking, trust me.

Anywho, there was this gorgeous painting of a lady dressing while entertaining a gentleman caller. She's already wearing her robe à la française with beautiful semi-sheer peignoir. I've modified the peignoir a bit, making it drape like a polonaise. Under the peignoir is a long petticoat with ruffle, a chemise with elbow frills (engageante), and a brocade corset...her shoes are pretty awesome, with a really sharply pointed toe.

Ooooh, she is so mean!

No comments:

Post a Comment