Sunday, February 28, 2010

Eric Bonus Sunday Post




I was digging around today, in preparation for a presentation at SETC this week. I found my first grad school paper project of Hedda Gabbler. Wow!

When I look at these, I can literally remember the terror I felt. It was my first time using watercolor**, I was intimidated as all hell, and I was sure that I was about to be kicked out. I just knew Marianne would see these and realize her horrible mistake in taking me into her program.

However, it was not a bloodbath. Marianne saw through my terror and kept encouraging me for the next two and a half years.

I'm really proud of these sketches. Not because I find them to be of any quality, but because I laud them as an effort of sheer bravery. In so many ways, I am still terrified to draw. Since I started this blog, I'm much less so. Actually, 2009 in general was a great year for drawing, since I did ten shows; it was an excellent chance for practice and refinement.

Kyle got a nice message through Facebook the other day, and it really warmed my heart. This undergrad expressed how Kyle's paper projects inspired her to keep going and to keep growing. I hope that this blog does do that, since it does so for me and for Kyle (and for Jen too! She had a really busy February, but she is still on the team, no matter what!).

So, since this is SETC week (Southeastern Theatre Conference), I want to open up the blog this week to YOUR sketches, too! Send me your sketch at abele.m.eric@gmail.com, with a small write-up about what it is and why you did it. I'd be happy to post it for you. No judgement from us: I promise! We're just going to celebrate ALL of us artists, no matter where you are on your journey.


**Just for the record, I still don't like using watercolor.

No comments:

Post a Comment