Thursday, February 25, 2010

Kyle 2/24/10...some days just suck...

Ugh. Serious ugh. Some days just suck for drawing. And today, my friends, was one of those days.

I'm gonna share a secret (its probably common sense, but oh well). I have this folder on my hard drive where I collect great photos from the interwebs. Usually it is faces or poses that I like and think would be fun to draw. I look through it quickly before starting a sketch and use photos from it very often. Well, a few days ago I found a great picture to use as a pose for Rapunzel in Into the Woods. There was great hair brushing action and wonderful hands. Needless to say I tried 4 times to get it right but my proportion sensor was just malfunctioning. I could tell that it was all kinds of jacked up, but I was just not able to fix it.

This was the best I could do...her head is too big, but it looks even bigger with the hair making it twelve kinds of crazy.

For the costume I'm going for something completely different for Rapunzel than from all the other characters. She's been raised by the Witch, who, in my opinion, is from farther in the past. Rapunzel is very isolated by the Witch - locked in the tower and has never seen or men seen by anyone besides the Witch. Its kind of a Medieval/Pre Raphaelite chemise with a wide girdle. Barefooted, simple, virginal...hairy. She'd have a second version of this same dress that's all dirty and nasty for the second act when she has run away...and the long braid on the wig is rip away so the Witch can 'cut' it off.

Like I said, not the best drawing, but, eh, its not horrible...or is it...

1 comment:

  1. I think you did a wonderful job on the dress.,. it's really pretty!

    ReplyDelete