Monday, February 1, 2010

Kyle 2/1/10 - Locked in the Cloak Room...

Wow...its been a full month! How crazy! I'm not sure if anyone besides the three of us that post hear actually look at the site...lets make some comments people!!!

When I was a kid there was this movie that I loved. It was called Lady in White. It was a sort of thriller/horror/ghost/romance and I thought that it was the coolest movie ever. The story opens at Halloween in the early 1960s and a little boy, Frankie, is locked in the cloak room at school...he sees a ghost of a little girl (Melissa Anne Montgomery - I will never forget that name), and then a guy comes in and tries to strangles him. He tries to hide under his costume, which is, if I remember correctly, is a vampire mask - Bella Legosi style. I wanted a Halloween costume like that sooooooooo bad!!! (Though, not to hide behind as someone tries to strangle me!)

Back to Merry Wives and thinking of what the characters dress in for the "Fairy Scene". Sir Hugh, the Welsh Parson, is one of the ring leaders in the scene, with lots of speeches and taunting of Falstaff. I thought that it would be funny to dress him up as something that was kind of "unholy" seeing that he is a Pastor, and then I thought of the vampire mask that I wanted so badly after seeing Lady in White... BAM! PERFECT! It's also kind of funny because Sir Hugh has an accent that no one can really understand - and so does Bella Legosi! He's got a cape (black and red satin) and one of those masks!!! I still think that it is really funny that we see their recognizable costumes (ie - Hugh's cassock and cardigan) under the "Fairy" costume.

I saw Lady in White recently (well, Halloween of 2004). I hadn't seen it in probably 10 years or so. I was with a group of friends at Utah Shakespearean Festival carving pumpkins. It wasn't quite as scary or thrilling as I remembered and the special effects were horrible, but I still sobbed at the end...and whenever I hear "Did You Ever Hear a Dream Walking?...Well, I did...," I get chills and cry a little for poor Melissa Anne Montgomery.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I think a lot of people do end up looking at the blog outside of our loyal listed followers.

    I totally remember watching that movie, and not understanding a damn thing happening. Mostly I remember the grandmother from "Who's the Boss" was in it, and I thought, "Why is Mona in this weird movie?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!!! And she's only in it for a little bit....and then she dies in a fire. Oh, Mona.

    ReplyDelete