Monday, February 15, 2010

Kyle 2/15/10 - A Little Sondheim Musical


I haven't designed a musical since my masters report in Grad School several years ago, so when my friend Liesl recommended Into the Woods as my next sketching project, I couldn't resist! The musicals I designed in grad school were all set in the 1950's or 60's so it will be fun to do something that isn't a bunch of men in suits

My plan for this show is to really pay attention to details like embroidery and surface decoration and aspects of class in dress. There are such wonderful class distinctions in Into the Woods and I want to show these through both silhouette and decoration. I'm not really going to go into the plot of this show, though...if you don't know what it is, you need to log on to I-Tunes and buy the Original Broadway Cast recording...seriously (Don't bother with the Revival Cast...its OK, but Bernadette Peters is much better than Vanessa Williams!)
The Baker and his Wife are based on Dutch peasant dress of the 17th/18th century. They aren't rich, but they're also not poor. They have a good amount of embroidery, trims, and inlay fabrics.

I'm pretty happy with the drawing. It looks a little crowded on the page, but I'd transfer it to a larger page if I actually paint it. I really like doing doubles in sketches especially if they are a pair...though If I was paid by the sketch, you better believe I'd split those fools up!!

To second Eric's statement on his earlier post - We are doing this for fun and to stay in sketching practice, but we're also doing it to get become better sketchers! Any constructive criticism is welcome...as is, of course, any praise you want to lavish in our general directions!

2 comments:

  1. Kyle, no one can render clothes like you. The way you handle fabric leaves no question in my mind as to its shape, fit and form. Her skirt is just great.

    Since I'm all face crazy this week, I'd like to leave feedback on your faces. Generally, you have a tendency to make the eyes too high on the head, which stretches the entire proportion into a very long face.

    What I'm learning so much about drawing from this blog is how each of us "see". You see the figure in terms of line, I see them in light and shadow. This is why your clothes are so well rendered, because of the accuracy of your line. However, I think it conversely makes your faces heavy, because it is realized in the same weight of line in all aspects.

    I do hope that helps you in some way. I'm REALLY excited to see this project develop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always had that problem with faces, though its gotten much better.

    ReplyDelete