Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Eric Celebrity Face #3


Oh, this is fun!

First off, the sketch photographed somewhat unevenly: it is not terribly accurate to my line on the paper.

I challenged myself tonight with this face. One because it has been "retouched" (hint, hint) and two because it is a bit older than I usually draw. Capturing the essence of those wrinkles without making them look drawn on by crayon was really difficult. Plus, this person is a bit heavy on the eye makeup, just like Oprah. I think I want to try later for someone REALLY agèd who has not been "retouched" by a medical professional.

I also noticed that I straightened out the face to almost a perfect vertical, when in the photograph, the celebrity is on an angle. I don't really know why I flattened her out, but it happened. C'est la vie!

3 comments:

  1. She's one of my favorites. Thanks for sketching her Eric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that they eye makeup is much better than Oprah! I think that eyes are just beautifully done!

    There is a tiny problem with the teeth. I don't draw teeth well at all - one of my professors in grad school just told me to leave white area in the mouth of a rendering if I wanted an open mouth. But that doesn't really work in the scale you're working with.

    The teeth are a little flattened out and should curve around a little but more on the left side as they work toward the corner of her mouth. I also think that your line work between the teeth is a little dark (and we all know that Dolly don't got no plaque!!).

    It is instantly recognizable though - I think that you're really achieveing your goal of paring down faces to something that is instantly recognizable without being too crazy detailed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, the teeth aren't a tiny problem. Now that I see it, I can't BELIEVE I disrespected Dolly's teeth like that!! Forgive me, Dolly!

    And thank you for your encouragement. This is the most fun I've had on the blog since it began!

    ReplyDelete